If you are like many of us in the Pacific Northwest you are probably wondering if this rain will stop and Spring will appear! The answer is yes and that is why I’m writing this blog today. There is something about spring that makes me want to shake out the rugs, open the windows, and make everything clean and new. Did you know that that instinct can actually put money in your pocket when it is time to sell? It is true! Handling the routine maintenance that can get away from all of us, can save you thousands later on! Not only can it save you thousands later it can also save you valuable time!
How does it work? Take your roof for example. If removing the winter debris off your roof and out of your gutters is part of your spring cleaning plan, you are not only making your exterior look sharp, you are also preventing the damage and rot that can happen when wet leaves are left to sit on a surface. Most homes, once under contract, are inspected and items like roof rot are targeted as challenges. The buyer may negotiate with the seller to resolve those challenges before the home changes hands which could cost thousands.
As you are making your spring cleaning list, here are some other things you may want to add:
• Clean crevices and corners of all decks – be mindful and pressure wash depending on material
• Trim shrubs and trees around houses to keep the plants from touching the house as this can provide an entry point for pests and insects
• Pressure wash the driveway depending on the material
• Inspect crawl spaces for evidence of animals or leaks
• Change the air filter in your furnace
• Clean the vents and floor/ceiling registers
• If you have a septic system have it inspected
• Have your furnace, water heater, and other systems serviced
• Apply moss killer where needed
• Clean dirt from windows and window sills
• Reseal your countertop and grout if recommended
• Clean oven
• Check caulk lines in bathroom, around windows and doors
• Clean dishwasher
• Wipe down cabinets inside and out
• Shampoo the carpet or hire a professional to do it
• Get the chimney swept and inspected
Don’t underestimate the value of cleaning the surfaces. Imperceptible grime can build up over time leaving a huge cleaning job down the road. Regular annual cleaning can be one of the best things you do to protect your real estate investment.
If you would like additional information on maintenance activities you should be focusing on in your particular home, please contact us at 253-381-6398 or 253-7327911